Ask the Skin Expert: How to treat Perioral Dermatitis
Bumps, rashes and redness around mouth and nose. Perioral dermatitis is an inflammatory skin disease very common in women between the ages 20–30. Skin therapist Jill Garpefors, who uses M Picaut skincare products at her own salon Ça Va (Hovås, Sweden), knows how to treat the condition.
Hi Jill! What is perioral dermatit?
– Perioral dermatit is an inflammatory skin condition related to rosacea but is located around the mouth. It is most common with fair-skinned people and sometimes appears for no obvious reason. But long-term use of strong cortisone creams, strong perfumes or facial cleansers containing skin-irritating soap may be a triggers.
How often do you receive patients with these symptoms?
– A few every month, and it is getting more and more common. I believe this is due to increasing availability of strong products, especially online. The client isn’t always aware of that he or she has perioral dermatit. Using right products for your skin is key. Never buy something someone mentioned ”was great”. What suits them might not suit you! I can really recommend a visit with a skin therapist who does skin analysis and thereafter picks out products based on your skin’s needs.
How do I know if I have perioral dermatit?
– A typical symptom is reddish skin in the area around mouth and nose. This may later turn into small bumps and blisters. Slight itching and burning can also occur.
What kind of products do you recommend?
– During flare-up it is important not to use any products. It may be tough in the beginning but should really let irritated skin area calm down. On the rest of the face you may use products suited for sensitive skin like Calming Cocoon Cream. It contains organic avocado, coco nut oil, wild yam and natural phytosterols that soothes stressed skin and helps improving imbalances in the skin.
Once the skin has calmed down you can introduce it to Calming Cocoon Cream. Start gently, for example twice a week.
Before applying the face cream clean your face with Nourishing Cleanser. It is a mild and a non-irritant sulphate free make-up remover, rich in moisturising oliv oil and nourishing sea buckthorn.
Anything to keep in mind during summer?
– To much sun can cause or aggravate the condition. Always use SPF 50 and a hat.
Any other tips?
– Yes. It is very commonly caused by over activating the skin. For example: excessive washing, exfoliating or use of strong skin care products. Many with perioral dermatitis already has a sensitive skin and the condition may get worse if you stretch out the blod vessels hot drinks, too much alcohol or spicy food. Extreme heat and cold can also affect. It is very important that you avoid to pick or pop the blisters.
What are the chances getting rid of this condition?
It may clear on its own, but it may take time. Anything from a few weeks to a couple of months. If it doesn’t, it’s important to visit a dermatologist.
To find a beauty salon with M Picaut skincare products, click here
Jill Garpenfors, owner of Beauty Salon Ça Va, Hovås, Sweden
News from M Picaut: “Hydration Serum for a Sun-Kissed Glow”
Say goodbye to dull winter skin with Golden Elixir Self Tan Drops. A moisturizing serum and highly concentrated self-tanning drops with sea buckthorn and aloe vera. “This gives your skin both a golden hue and a delightful vitamin boost!” says Mette Picaut, founder and CEO of M Picaut Swedish Skincare. With Golden Elixir Self Tan […]
News from M Picaut: “Luxurious Herbal Teas with Beneficial Effects”
Ecoluxury Herbal Teas are blends filled with pure and organic herbs that balance the body, promote better sleep, and enhance skin health. “Our herbal teas are both flavorful and beneficial. This is true beauty from the inside out!” says Mette Picaut, founder and CEO of M Picaut Swedish Skincare. Thanks to these new functional herbal […]
How hard can it be to develop a CBD product in 2023?
Magazine Scandinavian Mind askes founder Mette Picaut on lessons learned launching her first CBD product in 2023… How hard can it be to develop a CBD product in 2023? Trickier than you may think, just ask Mette Picaut. Mette Picaut is the founder and CEO of skincare brand M Picaut, based on the Swedish west coast […]
News from M Picaut: “Light-reflecting Minerals for Magical Glow”
A glamorous fusion between facial cream and illuminating makeup base. Galactic Glow CBD Moisturiser takes care of the skin and adds a subtle shimmer. “The most beautiful thing is natural skin, and this product highlights just that!” says Mette Picaut, founder and CEO of M Picaut Swedish Skincare. The trend of extra facial glow has […]
News from M Picaut: ” Moisturising facial toner with aquamarine crystal”
Aquamarine Bliss Treatment Toner is a new generation facial toner with a treatment effect. Thanks to its serum-like consistency and vitamin-rich ingredients such as cloudberry, prebiotics and aquamarine crystal.– This is an advanced facial toner that treats and moisturises your skin on multiple levels,” says Mette Picaut, founder and CEO of M Picaut Swedish Skincare.M Picaut Swedish Skincare […]
News from M Picaut: “Face mask with Swedish algae, Nordic cotton and rock crystal”
Rock Crystal Clear Treatment Mask is a mild but yet effective face mask with algae, Nordic cotton and rock crystal that is aimed at more than one generation. – It works both as a cleansing face mask for the teenager and as a glow mask for mom and dad, says Mette Picaut, founder and CEO […]
News from M Picaut: “Golden cleansing balm with Amber och Cloudberry”
Golden Amber Probiotic Cleansing Balm is a cleansing balm and make-up remover that strengthens, calms and protects the skin. – To cleanse our skin is an important part of our skin care. Everyone has the right to a balanced skin! says Mette Picaut, the founder and CEO of M Picaut Swedish Skincare. The idea behind the latest […]
“Empowering Women” – Fair Trade Sheabutter
The Shea Butter in M Picaut’s products comes from a Ghanian women’s cooperative. The Fair Trade business empowers the women and give them a stabil income. Shea Butter is natural and vegan with amazing and moisturizing nourishing properties. The butter comes from the African Shea nut. There, it has been used for thousands of years […]
News from M Picaut: “Serum with bakuchiol gives magical glow”
Gold Magician Firming Oil is an oil-based serum with the “natural retinol” bakuchiol and carotenoids that give the skin a deep, golden skin tone. – The result is a firmer complexion with a magical glow, says Mette Picaut, founder and CEO of M Picaut Swedish Skincare. Gold Magician Firming Oil is the new gold nugget […]