Ask the Skin Expert: How to treat Perioral Dermatitis
Bumps, rashes and redness around mouth and nose. Perioral dermatitis is an inflammatory skin disease very common in women between the ages 20–30. Skin therapist Jill Garpefors, who uses M Picaut skincare products at her own salon Ça Va (Hovås, Sweden), knows how to treat the condition.
Hi Jill! What is perioral dermatit?
– Perioral dermatit is an inflammatory skin condition related to rosacea but is located around the mouth. It is most common with fair-skinned people and sometimes appears for no obvious reason. But long-term use of strong cortisone creams, strong perfumes or facial cleansers containing skin-irritating soap may be a triggers.
How often do you receive patients with these symptoms?
– A few every month, and it is getting more and more common. I believe this is due to increasing availability of strong products, especially online. The client isn’t always aware of that he or she has perioral dermatit. Using right products for your skin is key. Never buy something someone mentioned ”was great”. What suits them might not suit you! I can really recommend a visit with a skin therapist who does skin analysis and thereafter picks out products based on your skin’s needs.
How do I know if I have perioral dermatit?
– A typical symptom is reddish skin in the area around mouth and nose. This may later turn into small bumps and blisters. Slight itching and burning can also occur.
What kind of products do you recommend?
– During flare-up it is important not to use any products. It may be tough in the beginning but should really let irritated skin area calm down. On the rest of the face you may use products suited for sensitive skin like Calming Cocoon Cream. It contains organic avocado, coco nut oil, wild yam and natural phytosterols that soothes stressed skin and helps improving imbalances in the skin.
Once the skin has calmed down you can introduce it to Calming Cocoon Cream. Start gently, for example twice a week.
Before applying the face cream clean your face with Nourishing Cleanser. It is a mild and a non-irritant sulphate free make-up remover, rich in moisturising oliv oil and nourishing sea buckthorn.
Anything to keep in mind during summer?
– To much sun can cause or aggravate the condition. Always use SPF 50 and a hat.
Any other tips?
– Yes. It is very commonly caused by over activating the skin. For example: excessive washing, exfoliating or use of strong skin care products. Many with perioral dermatitis already has a sensitive skin and the condition may get worse if you stretch out the blod vessels hot drinks, too much alcohol or spicy food. Extreme heat and cold can also affect. It is very important that you avoid to pick or pop the blisters.
What are the chances getting rid of this condition?
It may clear on its own, but it may take time. Anything from a few weeks to a couple of months. If it doesn’t, it’s important to visit a dermatologist.
To find a beauty salon with M Picaut skincare products, click here
Jill Garpenfors, owner of Beauty Salon Ça Va, Hovås, Sweden
News from M Picaut: “Serum with bakuchiol gives magical glow”
Gold Magician Firming Oil is an oil-based serum with the “natural retinol” bakuchiol and carotenoids that give the skin a deep, golden skin tone. – The result is a firmer complexion with a magical glow, says Mette Picaut, founder and CEO of M Picaut Swedish Skincare. Gold Magician Firming Oil is the new gold nugget […]
Two Time Champion
It is M Picaut that applies, when the dermatologist can choose for himself. In this year’s edition of the Skincare Professionals Awards, our locally produced eco-luxury won in two of seven categories. – Incredible! That picky professionals choose our products says something about our brand! says Mette. The Skincare Professionals Awards are arranged by SHR, […]
News from M Picaut: “A multi serum with pearl extract and PHA acid”
Pearl Luminous Gentle PHA Serum – a new serum with mineral-rich pearl extract, soothing licorice root and vitamin C bomb Indian gooseberry from the acclaimed skin care brand M Picaut Swedish Skincare. The new Pearl Luminous Gentle PHA Serum is mild, yet effective, improves pigmentation and gives a fresh radiance. – This is the serum […]
Drops de luxe with ruby and niacinamide
Ruby Passion Probiotic Lifting Serum – a new serum by the awarded skincare line M Picaut Swedish Skincare, who is also celebrating a 10 year anniversary. Niacinamide, with anti-age properties, and red ruby with glowing warmth, are two of the ingredients in M Picaut’s new Ruby Passion Probiotic Lifting Serum. – We are celebrating our […]
Two new facial moisturisers by Mette Picaut: “Probiotics and Gemstones will strengthen your skin”.
M Picaut Swedish Skincare is now launching two new moisturisers; Rose Quartz Supreme Probiotic Rich Cream and Amethyst Obsession Probiotic Balancing Cream. The moisturisers are based on Prebiotic and Probiotic that help maintain and strengthen the skin. – From the very start, we have developed nourishing and anti inflammatory skincare. So this feels like a […]
Fourth year in a row: M Picaut winner at Swedish Beauty Awards
The Swedish skincare brand M Picaut won again, for the fourth year in a row, at Swedens most prestigious beauty awards, Swedish Beauty Awards. The body peel mask Amazing Effortless Body Peel Mask stood as a winner of the Body Product of the Year 2019. – I love ”two-in-one”-products. This is ecoluxury as it’s best! […]
M Picaut – winner of Body Product of the Year
The new body exfoliator Amazing Effortless Body Peel Mask won Body Product of the Year at the 2019 Daisy Beauty Awards. – This is the future of skincare; effective and locally produced ecoluxury says Mette Picaut, founder of the Swedish beauty success. Amazing Effortless Body Peel Mask was released in November 2018 and is the […]
New position for Mr Picaut
It was love at first sight. Outside a metro station in Tokyo. Two children and 26 years later Mette’s and Eric’s love story continues. Now also a couple at work. This fall Eric started as a Sales Manager at the M Picaut office in Gothenburg. Hi Eric. Tell us more about your new position. – […]
“A facial treatment for the body”
New: Amazing Effortless Body Peel Mask – new body product by the multi-awarded Swedish skincare line M Picaut. Red wine grape seeds and natural salicylic acid from willow are exiting ingredients in M Picaut’s new body product. – The idea behind our body line is to create like a facial treatment, but for the body. Amazing […]