Ask the Skin Expert: How to treat Perioral Dermatitis
Bumps, rashes and redness around mouth and nose. Perioral dermatitis is an inflammatory skin disease very common in women between the ages 20–30. Skin therapist Jill Garpefors, who uses M Picaut skincare products at her own salon Ça Va (Hovås, Sweden), knows how to treat the condition.
Hi Jill! What is perioral dermatit?
– Perioral dermatit is an inflammatory skin condition related to rosacea but is located around the mouth. It is most common with fair-skinned people and sometimes appears for no obvious reason. But long-term use of strong cortisone creams, strong perfumes or facial cleansers containing skin-irritating soap may be a triggers.
How often do you receive patients with these symptoms?
– A few every month, and it is getting more and more common. I believe this is due to increasing availability of strong products, especially online. The client isn’t always aware of that he or she has perioral dermatit. Using right products for your skin is key. Never buy something someone mentioned ”was great”. What suits them might not suit you! I can really recommend a visit with a skin therapist who does skin analysis and thereafter picks out products based on your skin’s needs.
How do I know if I have perioral dermatit?
– A typical symptom is reddish skin in the area around mouth and nose. This may later turn into small bumps and blisters. Slight itching and burning can also occur.
What kind of products do you recommend?
– During flare-up it is important not to use any products. It may be tough in the beginning but should really let irritated skin area calm down. On the rest of the face you may use products suited for sensitive skin like Calming Cocoon Cream. It contains organic avocado, coco nut oil, wild yam and natural phytosterols that soothes stressed skin and helps improving imbalances in the skin.
Once the skin has calmed down you can introduce it to Calming Cocoon Cream. Start gently, for example twice a week.
Before applying the face cream clean your face with Nourishing Cleanser. It is a mild and a non-irritant sulphate free make-up remover, rich in moisturising oliv oil and nourishing sea buckthorn.
Anything to keep in mind during summer?
– To much sun can cause or aggravate the condition. Always use SPF 50 and a hat.
Any other tips?
– Yes. It is very commonly caused by over activating the skin. For example: excessive washing, exfoliating or use of strong skin care products. Many with perioral dermatitis already has a sensitive skin and the condition may get worse if you stretch out the blod vessels hot drinks, too much alcohol or spicy food. Extreme heat and cold can also affect. It is very important that you avoid to pick or pop the blisters.
What are the chances getting rid of this condition?
It may clear on its own, but it may take time. Anything from a few weeks to a couple of months. If it doesn’t, it’s important to visit a dermatologist.
To find a beauty salon with M Picaut skincare products, click here
Jill Garpenfors, owner of Beauty Salon Ça Va, Hovås, Sweden
M Picaut – winner of Body Product of the Year
The new body exfoliator Amazing Effortless Body Peel Mask won Body Product of the Year at the 2019 Daisy Beauty Awards. – This is the future of skincare; effective and locally produced ecoluxury says Mette Picaut, founder of the Swedish beauty success. Amazing Effortless Body Peel Mask was released in November 2018 and is the […]
New position for Mr Picaut
It was love at first sight. Outside a metro station in Tokyo. Two children and 26 years later Mette’s and Eric’s love story continues. Now also a couple at work. This fall Eric started as a Sales Manager at the M Picaut office in Gothenburg. Hi Eric. Tell us more about your new position. – […]
“A facial treatment for the body”
New: Amazing Effortless Body Peel Mask – new body product by the multi-awarded Swedish skincare line M Picaut. Red wine grape seeds and natural salicylic acid from willow are exiting ingredients in M Picaut’s new body product. – The idea behind our body line is to create like a facial treatment, but for the body. Amazing […]
Ask the Skin Expert: How to treat Perioral Dermatitis
Bumps, rashes and redness around mouth and nose. Perioral dermatitis is an inflammatory skin disease very common in women between the ages 20–30. Skin therapist Jill Garpefors, who uses M Picaut skincare products at her own salon Ça Va (Hovås, Sweden), knows how to treat the condition. Hi Jill! What is perioral dermatit? – Perioral dermatit […]
Niacinamide has anti-age effect and reduces sun damage
Mette about one of her new favourite ingredients: Few things make me as enthusiastic as discovering ingredients that are both effective and safe to use. One of the favourites is Niacinamide (vitamin B3), that is found in our luxurious face mask Hydra Lagoon Overnight Mask! Recently Niacinamide has reached the status of a ”buzz-ingredient” in […]
M Picaut winner of Bodycare of the Year
The citrus-scenting body oil Goodness Glow All Over Dry Oil by M Picaut, wins first price in the category Bodycare of the Year at Swedens largest beauty awards; Swedish Beauty & Cosmetics Awards 2017. – I am thrilled! Last year we won in the category Facial Product of the Year. And now, our body oil […]
M Picaut winner of international awards
Five product by M Picaut won first price at the Beauty Shortlist Awards 2017, in UK. On top of that the brand also won in the categories Best Scandinavian Skincare and Best Organic Skincare in Scandinavia. – I’m extremely happy and proud! says Mette Picaut, the founder of the Swedish skincare success. The facial serum […]
We won Swedish Beauty Awards 2016
Congratulations Mette Picaut, who took home first prize in this year’s Facial Skincare Product of the Year at the Swedish Beauty Awards 2016. You won among 30 brands and 50 products. How does it feel? Somewhat surprised, extremely fun and almost a bit unreal! The fact that one of our products wins the largest and […]
Wonderful blogg love from Germany!
It’s always great and lots of fun reading other beauty bloggers reviews. Hanna from Foxycheeks is not just a blogger but one of the biggest beautybloggers in Germany, so that makes it a little extra cool. A really nice start of the week. I love the part when she writes about how Floris from amazingy.com […]